We have worked on “eating better and moving more” in the past years and will continue promotional projects with this message. Our emphasis in 2010 through 2012 will be one of “creating a supportive environment” (changing the infrastructure) through advocacy of trails and walk ability.
1. To continue to make Power Point presentations about ACTIVATE Chester County to Governance and Community Groups. To create the vision that we need to develop the infrastructure for walk ability and education in the Kennett Square area, in order to turn around the obesity trend.
2. To create dialogues with key stakeholders--Groups involved with the trail formation at Parrish property (across from Pennock Baseball Fields) and Land Conservancy of SCC.
3. Advocate and support the Kennett Area Park and Recreation effort to create a walking trail around Pennock baseball field and their grant application for funds.
4. Advocate and support the Kennett Area Park Authority in developing safer and easier access to Anson B Nixon Park. Promote Park events throughout the year.
5. Create ideas and a forum for WCU Nutrition and Public Health Students to engage their undergraduate and Master Community Projects.
6. Build on the projects and findings that were developed by WCU student interns in 2010-11.
7. Assure that youth, the schools, churches, businesses, food cupboards, environmental groups are represented at the ACTIVATE Kennett Square table. (Invitations are being made to each entity by an individual interaction and contact this fall.)
8. To continue to support and develop forums to bring in minority groups to the ACTIVATE message, in our area--Latino and African American. Vive tu Viva/Get Up and Get Moving is an example. To be held on 10/01/11 at the Anson B Nixon Park.
9. Keep the Kennett section of the ACTIVATE Chester County web site updated after each meeting.
10. Continue to support Neighborhood Walking Groups, which developed about 4 years ago.
11. Support and actively participate in Kennett Area YMCA Healthy Kids Day event in April 2012.
12. Get people engaged in the Face book page on Walk ability--Get people talking about the importance of walking and engaging the town of Kennett on foot.
For more information please contact Joan Holladay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the minutes from our last meeting.
ACTIVATE KENNETT SQUARE— 04/25/12
A community-wide grassroots organization, which focuses on moving more, eating smarter and creating a supportive environment for healthy living
Attendees: Karla Acosta (MPH Student at WCU); David Dill (YMCA); Courtney Fahndrich (LCH); Joan Holliday (CCHD); LaToya Meyers (MCH Outreach & Historic East Linden Street); Karen Scherer (Kennett Borough)
- Safe Pathway from Kennett to New Garden Shopping Center---- Joan Holliday sent an email to all members of the three township Councils to keep the Safe Pathway in active discussion. Scudder Stevens from Kennett Township emailed and said he would be bringing up the subject at their monthly meeting. Geoff Bosley from Kennett Borough told us that an “Area Revitalization Grant” for West Cypress Street has been resubmitted. Monies have been granted for Walnut St., the SE corner of the Borough. We have not heard from New Garden, so Joan will re-send an email. Karen Scherer will send Joan Information with name and address information to send ACTIVATE advocacy letter for funding support.
Karen Scherer shared the good news that funding has been provided for the trail on the Parrish property and 4 car parking spaces will be provided for residents, who want to take the mile walk along the creek. Funding also has been granted for a walking trail around the Herb Pennock Park.
- Steering Committee Update: No Update
- Wellness for Employees of Non-Profits: The Wellness Model for Employees developed by this group was sent to the Steering Committee for review. Kennett’s model and ACTIVATE West Chester Healthy Meeting Tool-Kit will be placed on the ACTIVATE web site very soon. The web site: www.activatechestercounty.org
- Community Walk: Meet in front of Genesis Health Care ventures at doorway under the clock (corner of Union and State St., Kennett) at noon, the 3rd Wednesday of every month, and walk around town.
- Vive tu Vida--Get up Get Moving— will take place on 10/06/12.
- Healthy Kids Day: The time is 11am to 2pm on 4/28/12. David Dill reports that he needs two volunteers for handing out YMCA materials and a couple of persons to supervise the Moon Bounce. He has contacted The Garage Youth Center and has some volunteers from there. Steve Madonna is the MC. Noon is the time for the presentation of the Healthy Kennett citizen.
- Still on the table for discussion. David Dill will speak to YMCA about making ACTIVATE signs for Neighborhood Captains.
- David Dill will talk to Lenda Carrillo about organizing the Neighborhood Walks this year.
- Joan Holliday left message for Superintendant about the Healthy Schools Health Leadership Institute slated for 07/11-12/12 at WCU and will continue to follow-up
- Carol Krawczyck and Joan Holliday will continue to take action to keep the safe path topic on the table with the three municipalities. To follow-up with Tick Tock Day Care Center with wellness model progress.
- MPH Student will be conducting Focus Groups around Latino nutrition, related to their culture, through LCH/Project Salud, and will integrate with efforts that are currently taking place in Kennett.
- Courtney Fahndrich will continue to explore ways to stimulate community gardens.
- We will explore ways to support The Garage youth participating in the Kennett Run.
Next meeting is Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at noon at Kennett Borough Hall