Proper nutrition must accompany regular physical activity habits to achieve overall health. From supersized meals to soda, chips, and candy, our nation has lost sight of fueling our bodies with fresh, nutritious foods. Activate Chester County is working to open the eyes of our community to the importance of a healthy diet.
A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains is a key factor in preventing diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. With only 28% of Chester County residents eating the recommended 5 or more fruits and vegetables a day, Activate Chester County is in a unique position to drastically improve the dietary intake of our residents, potentially preventing many from developing chronic diseases.
The newly released food icon from the USDA, MyPlate, offers some key take away messages to improve your diet in three main areas:
- Balancing Calories
- Enjoy your food, but eat less
- Avoid oversized portions
- Foods to Increase
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables
- Make at least half your grains whole grains
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk
- Foods to Reduce
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals – and choose the foods with the lower numbers
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks
Activate supports several initiatives across Chester County to encourage healthy eating. To learn more about an event near you, please visit our calendar of events.
Learn how to improve your diet on a daily basis! Visit www.myfitnesspal.com, to get started today.